Images: City of Sydney
Happy New Year Everyone! Here's hoping for an even greener 2011!
Last night the Sydney New Year's Eve Fireworks were a successful and spectacular hit as usual! However, it was also a Carbon Neutral Event.
Below are the steps that were taken to ensure that the event was green, as part of the City of Sydney's commitment to a Sustainable Sydney.
- Carbon credits were purchased to offset all emissions that the event would generate.
- Eighty percent of all rubbish was also recycled, with approximately 20% of the remainder non recyclable.
- Recycled water was also used to clean the streets and surrounding areas following the celebrations.
- Personal ashtrays were distributed in order to help reduce the littering of cigarette butts.
- Props and scenic designs were reused.
- Party goers were also encouraged to use public transport or to walk to the event and to leave their cars at home.